There is much excitement in Fore Street, Totnes, as Devon Air Ambulance Trust prepares to open their 15th shop!
Manager Kirsty Whitaker is busy sorting stock and is very keen to recruit some volunteers to help her! She says “Devon Air Ambulance is a cause close to all of our hearts as it’s there for everyone. You never know when you might need it. So far this year it has been called out 8 times in or around Totnes, and it’s a real privilege to be working for such a worthwhile charity. As a brand new shop, we’re looking for a whole team of volunteers and there are roles available for everyone – from retired people looking to do something worthwhile, job seekers wanting some work experience and students who are doing their Duke of Edinburgh Award. Duties could be anything from sorting, steaming, serving customers, looking after the books, CDs and DVDs, researching, cleaning or even helping with the window design!”
The Trust’s Volunteer Support Officer, Rosey Oakes, added “There are loads of really good reasons to volunteer. If you’re looking for a job it’s great for your CV and your confidence – you’ll be learning new skills and dealing with lots of different people and situations. For those new to the area it’s a great way to meet people and make new friends. And don’t forget the feel-good factor you get from knowing you are doing something to help others!”
If you can offer any time to DAAT then please pop ainto the shop and talk to Kirsty or email Rosey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stat Facts for Totnes area:
• Devon Air Ambulance has been called out to 8 missions in the Totnes/TQ9 area up to the end of September this year.
• Conveyed patients on 4 of these missions
• 2 patients treated but did not convey
• 2 missions were stood down
• Gender of patients carried: 4 male and 4 female
• Out of the 4 patients flown 3 missions were trauma (accidental) related and one was medical:
1. Tree fell on tree surgeon
2. Girl fell from tree – parent accompanied child in helicopter
3. Para-glider - taken to the major trauma unit, by-passing the closest hospital
4. Medical – cardiac